29 Jul Stem Challenge: STEMsational Challenge
Next week’s Summer Program theme is STEMsational! In this activity, we’ll be putting the E in STEM and engineering our own mazes! You will learn all about the process of trial and error while you build your creations.
Visit our blog every Thursday to see our latest STEM challenge and don’t forget share your creations on social media using #CMMSSTEMChallenge or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to submit your photos to us by Monday, August 2nd!
- STEM Challenge Worksheet
- Paper plates
- Various household supplies (cardboard, straws, cotton balls, string, etc)
- Glue (tacky glue or hot glue works best)
- Marble or other small ball
- Use the provided worksheet to brainstorm the design and construction of your maze. Remember, it has to be wide enough to allow a marble to pass, and small enough to fit on a paper plate.
- Gather the supplies you will need to make the walls of your maze.
- Try mapping out different mazes with different materials to determine what works and what doesn’t.
- Once you’ve decided on your design and materials, use glue to make the walls stay in place on the paper plate.
- Allow your maze to dry.
- Consider the following and record your answers on your worksheet:
- Why did you choose the materials you did?
- What materials did you decide not to use and why?
- How would you improve your design in the future?