"Education is a natural process carried out by the child and is not acquired by listening to words but by experiences in the environment."
Children’s Magnet Montessori School, guided by the educational philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori, is dedicated to preparing our children to excel in a global society by providing an academically rigorous, engaging, and supportive learning environment that cultivates curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking.
- Implementation of curriculum and methodology based on the Montessori philosophy of education and human development
- Teaching, across the curriculum, which demonstrates the interconnection of all disciplines
- Integration of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) concepts through enrichment and outreach programs
- Teachers follow students’ individual needs in order to help them achieve personal academic excellence and become life-long learners who respect themselves, others, and their environment
- Teachers guide students to become compassionate global citizens
- Hands-on learning environment
- Fostering student-initiated inquiry/research and projects which develop understanding and appreciation of the world beyond the classroom
- Engage families in the education of their children through dialog, education in the child's development, Montessori/school practice, ongoing communication, community events, joint planning to address evolving needs, and individual circumstances
- Inspires its students to reach their highest levels of personal and academic achievement
- Prepares them to embrace challenges with confidence and innovation
- Development of the whole child
- Development of individual potential
- “Making the match” with a student's needs and interests
- Individualized instruction based on observation and understanding of a student’s learning styles and abilities
Children’s Magnet is a natural built laboratory for learning. Children’s Manor is a natural built laboratory for learning. Our curriculum includes the areas of Practical Life, Sensorial, Language Arts, Mathematics, and Cultural Studies (including Geography, History, Science, Art, and Music) and our enrichment programs consist of Yoga, Spanish, Library, and Technology. Our Pre-Primary, Primary, and Honors/Kindergarten programs focus primarily on the internal construction of knowledge in our students, whereas our Lower Elementary and Upper Elementary Programs focus more on the “how” and “why” of learning.
Our philosophy is based on the educational precepts of Dr. Maria Montessori. The foundation of Dr. Montessori’s educational theory was based on her observation that children possess innate desires to explore, discover, and learn about the world around them. She observed that children learn best within a social environment that supports personal development. Dr. Maria Montessori’s method of education focused on the development of the whole child in all areas of life. With this philosophy in mind, we believe that:
- The Montessori Method succeeds because it draws its principles from the natural development of the child.
- Children have a natural urge to explore, discover, and learn about the world around them.
- Children learn best when they are active participants in the learning process.
- The inherent flexibility of the Montessori approach allows the method to adapt to the needs of the individual, regardless of the level of ability, learning style, or social maturity.
- The role of the teacher is to assist the child in developing physical and mental independence while fostering the “joy of learning.”
- Active parent involvement through conferences, school events, and participation in our Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) is essential. The more parents understand their child’s classroom experiences, the better able they are to reinforce what is taught in school at home.